Translate

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 20 - April 24 - Lavacolla To Santiago

We have arrived!

It was a bittersweet moment. Happy that the walking was over and we had arrived at our destination as planned. Sad that it was over and tomorrow won't be the same. I was a bit moved when I got my certificate at the pilgrim's office. An emotional moment.

I looked at the certificate and saw that my name was in Latin. WTF! (Way Too Funny). I asked the girl about it and she said that it was in Latin because the entire document is in Latin. Ok, makes sense.

When we arrived by the back of the cathedral the bells started to chime 11:00 AM. Everyday at noon the cathedral celebrates mass for the pilgrims. We waited around greeting friends that we've made along the way over the last twenty days and went in to hear mass and hopefully see the botafumeiro in action. We were lucky in that the archbishop of Santiago was presiding over the mass and sure enough they swung the botafumeiro at the end of mass.

After mass we checked into the hotel and went for lunch. Another nice meal. They eat well in this part of the world! Presently I'm lying on the bed relaxing while I type this. What a welcome change not having to walk for miles right after lunch...



.

















































2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it. What a great accomplishment! Can't wait to hear about your trip.

    Russ and Virginia

    ReplyDelete